Provision Center for Proton Therapy – Oncology Social Worker
The role of the Oncology Social Worker is to help patients, families, and caregivers deal with the experience of facing cancer. This position will help our patients with practical needs, like finding resources within our Provision CARES Cancer Center and the community, and with such complex needs such as adjusting to an illness, dealing with transitions and decision-making, navigating cultural issues, and communicating with family members, friends, and health care providers. The Oncology Social Worker will meet with patients and family members, and work as part of oncology care teams.
Performs psychosocial assessments high risk patients, both adults and pediatrics.
Participates in patient care planning responsive to age specific needs.
Refers patients to appropriate community resources.
Provides crisis intervention and emotional support to patients and families on bio-psychosocial issues.
Coordinates patient/family physician conferences.
Provides consultation to physicians and staff regarding psychosocial issues, bioethical issue and discharge issues.
Develops and maintains working relationships with community agencies.
Participates in planning the social work component required in selected programs for patients.
Provides in-service education for staff.
Documents pertinent contacts regarding discharge plans in the Social Services notes of the patient’s medical record as needed.
- Required – Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited institution
- Required- Tennessee Licensure
- 2+ years oncology experience strongly preferred
- Strong communication and problem solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Able to oversee projects or programs
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records
- Fluent in medical terminology
Work Environment/ Physical and Mental Demand:
- Intermittent physical activity including walking, standing, sitting.
- Employee may experience traumatic situations including psychiatric patients.
- Employee will need to handle working under stress and high pace